Pros and Cons of a Home Automation System
Home automation ties your security system into the other systems of your home or business, such as lighting and HVAC, and allows you to control everything with your smart phone, tablet, or computer. Although these devices are certainly not new to the market, many systems have become much more affordable in the past few years and the use of home automation is becoming more and more popular.
You’re probably wondering, how can I decide if home automation is for me? Well, here are a few pro and cons to help you make that decision:
- Energy Savings. Home automation systems have definitely proven themselves in the arena of energy efficiency. Automated thermostats allow you to pre-program temperatures based on the time of day and the day of the week. Actual energy savings ultimately depend on the type of device you select and its automation capabilities. On average, product manufacturers estimate the systems can help consumers save anywhere from 10 to 15 percent off of heating and cooling bills.
- Convenience is another primary selling point for home automation. Home automation virtually eliminates small hassles such as turning the lights off before you go to bed, or adjusting the thermostat when you wake up in the morning.
- Remote monitoring can put your mind at ease while you’re away from the house. With remote dashboards, lights and lamps can be turned on and off with the touch of a button while you’re on the go. These capabilities, combined with automated security systems, can help you eliminate the risk of intrusions.
- Complex Technology. Automating everything in life may sound extremely appealing, but sometimes a good old-fashioned flip of the switch is easier than reaching for your smart phone to turn a light on and off. Before deciding which system is right for you, think about how far you want to take home automation in your home.
- System Compatibility. Controlling all systems from one centralized platform is important, but keep in mind that all systems are not compatible together. To truly leverage the convenience of home automation, you may need to invest in a centralized platform that allows you to control all systems and devices from one location.
- Even though the price of a home automation system has become much more affordable in recent years, the cost to purchase and install a device can still add up.
Home automation systems can make it easy to control thermostats, lighting, locks, cameras, and even home entertainment from your smart phone, whether you are at home or away from home. If you are interested in learning more about home automation and how it can increase your home security, call Murrey Installations at 410-527-1177 today.